If your Nissan X trail is failing to start and displaying “Stop Start system fault” this article is for you, As a mechanic, I’ve seen this problem on many Nissan X trails. In this article, I am going to explain what is causing this problem and how to fix it.
What is Nissan X trail Stop Start Technology?
Nissan X trail stop start technology is a feature that automatically turns off the engine when you come to a complete stop and then restarts it again when you release the brake pedal.
It is designed to save fuel by turning off your X trail engine when it is not needed.
The main purpose of this feature is to reduce engine idling time, and emissions and save you fuel.
What Causes “Stop Start System Fault” on a Nissan X trail?
The fault message is mainly caused by the following issues:
1. A Bad Battery:
Nissan Batteries usually last 3-5 years and need to be replaced after that. If your X trail battery is old, it may not hold the charge as well as it used to and as result will drain quickly and cause your Nissan electronics to malfunction.
2. Low Battery Charge:
If the battery in your Nissan X-Trail is still relatively new then it is likely that you have a low charge. This can be caused by not driving your car for an extended period of time, leaving the lights and infotainment system on or you haven’t driven your Xtrail in a while and your battery has gone flat.
How to Fix Nissan X-trail “Stop Start System Fault”
There are two ways to go about fixing and resetting this error on your Nissan X-Trail.
Option 1: Replace the Battery
Depending on the age and condition of your battery, this may be the quickest and easiest way to fix your Nissan X-Trail. You can purchase a new one from your local Nissan dealership, online, or a dedicated battery supplier.
However, if you’re not sure whether your battery has any life left in it, you can use a multimeter to test the voltage of your current battery and see if it passes the test. If it doesn’t pass, then you should consider replacing it with a new one.
Option 2: Have your current Battery Charged
This option is recommended only if you recently changed the battery or the overall condition of the battery is still good.
You can get your Nissan X-Trail battery charged either by
- Ask Someone to Jump start your car: There are two options for jumpstarting your Nissan X-Trail battery: You can either get someone to help you jumpstart the vehicle or use a portable jumpstarter. If you don’t have anyone who can help you jumpstart, then using a portable jumpstarter is recommended.
- Use a Portable Battery Charger: If you don’t have a portable jumpstarter, then using a portable battery charger is the second option. It’s important to note that while this method will charge your Nissan X-Trail battery, you will still need to drive the car for a few kilometers for the alternator to fully charge it
- Take your Nissan to a dedicated car battery store: If you don’t have a portable jumpstarter and don’t want to use a portable battery charger, then the next option is to take your vehicle to a dedicated car battery store. They will be able to analyze the issue and provide you with an alternative solution.
- Go to the nearest Nissan dealership: This option is probably the most costly one but you will be sure that your Nissan X-Trail battery will be replaced with the required type of battery.
How to Prevent Future Stop Start Faults on a Nissan Xtrail
1. Replace your battery every 3-5 years:
A Nissan X-Trail battery will last you between 3-5 years. If you want to prevent any future stop start faults on your Nissan X-Trail, then it is important that you replace the battery every 3-5 years.
This way, you won’t have to deal with any issues related to a faulty battery in the future.
2. Drive your Xtrail for a few kilometers:
If you rarely use the vehicle, then it is important that you drive your Nissan X-Trail for a few kilometers once in a while. This will help keep the battery charged and prevent any issues related to a flat battery.
1 thought on “Stop Start System Fault Nissan X Trail [ Main Cause & Easy Fix]”
After replacing battery I have no reverse camera radio or screen